Every Tuesday, enjoy an in-depth insight into the Barber’s stunning collection through this brand-new programme of mini podcasts.
Each week, staff will give short ten-minute talks about a variety of topics relating to the Barber’s collections. Discussions may include past and present displays, small groups of related works, an aspect of the member of staff’s own research, or single masterpieces and recent acquisitions.
These talks are part of our new initiative to bring the Barber’s collection into your home virtually, starting while the gallery’s doors are closed to visitors in line with government advice during the COVID-19 pandemic.
We hope you enjoy them.
30 June: Monet and Painting ‘en plein air’ with Beth Brankowski, Learning and Engagement Administrator.
23 June: Turner at the Barber Institute: Sun, Sea and Ships with Helen Cobby, Assistant Curator.
16 June: Saint James the Great and the World of Pilgrimage, Real and Imagined with April Armstrong-Bascombe, Collections Intern.
9 June: Cézanne and the Modern French Print with Helen Cobby, Assistant Curator.
- View ‘Les Baigneurs, Petite Planche’ (on loan to the Barber from a private collection) and read about the display
- View the Barber’s ‘Guillaumin with the Hanged Man’ and ‘Self Portrait’ by Cézanne
- Transcript and further images
26 May: Working Women: Attitudes to Female in Labour in 19th-century Art with Mimi Buchanan, Learning and Engagement Intern.
- View ‘A Peasant Woman Digging’ by Vincent van Gogh and ‘Grande Arabesque, Third Time’ by Edgar Degas as you listen
19 May: Maternal Bonds: Adriaen van Ostade’s ‘The Child and The Doll’ and John Sloan’s ‘The Women’s Page’ with Beth Brankowski, Learning and Engagement Administrator and curator of the display.
- View ‘The Child and the Doll’ by Adriaen van Ostade and ‘The Women’s Page’ by John Sloan as you listen
- Read about Maternal Bonds: Images of Motherhood
12 May: Rossetti and ‘The Blue Bower’: Pre-Raphaelite Symbolism and Ideals of Beauty with a Single Female Muse with Helen Cobby, Assistant Curator.
Naming the Nude with Becca Randle, Learning and Engagement Coordinator.
More on the way – watch this space.