John Raphael Smith (1752-1812)

Dr Richard Robinson, D. D.

1775

Mezzotint

510 x 357 mm

This print was made after the painting by Reynolds, which is also in the Barber’s collection. The Englishman Richard Robinson (1709-1794) was made Archbishop of Armagh in 1765, so when this portrait was painted he was Primate of Ireland. He is dressed in the appropriate clerical garb of the day: wig, hat, dark-grey coat, and black waistband over an ‘apron’. The portrait was commissioned to hang at Robinson’s newly-built house, Rokeby Hall in County Louth. It is one of four versions and is a replica of a work exhibited at the Royal Academy in 1775.  It was at this annual exhibition that Reynolds established his reputation as the leading portraitist of the day.

Purchased 1947 (No.47.10)

Related Posts