The Madonna and Child with Saints (recto); Two Figures (verso)
Black and yellow chalk heightened on white tinted paper
260 x 196 mm
A study for the altarpiece in the church of S. Marco, Florence, painted by Fra Bartolommeo in 1509 (now in the Uffizi). Other drawings are in the Uffizi, the Museum Boymans-van Beuningen, Rotterdam, the Courtauld Institute, and elsewhere.
There are many differences between the composition of the present drawing and that of the picture, which has six saints instead of five, as in the drawing; the Holy Child is transferred in the picture to the Virgin’s left arm, and the angel at the top of the drawing becomes in the picture a pair of flying putti, whose feet are higher than their heads. The drawing on reverse has not been connected with a surviving picture.
Purchased 1936 (No.36.1)