Our galleries are currently closed, as of Monday 2 October 2023, to enable us to carry out essential building work. They will reopen in spring 2024.
The remainder of our building – our reception, shop, foyer, toilets, libraries, lecture theatre, teaching spaces, and our administrative and academic offices (Department of History of Art, Curating and Visual Studies; Music) remain open during this time, Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 5pm.
You are most welcome to continue to visit our beautiful Grade-1 listed building and enjoy its public spaces even though the galleries are closed.
We are maintaining some precautions for visitors to the building to ensure a safe and comfortable visit – please see below and our FAQs
Whether you’re exploring new places on your doorstep or are a familiar face, we’re delighted to welcome you to our beautiful building.
We are looking forward to seeing you soon!
Safety and hygiene
- Please delay your visit if you are unwell, especially if you have Covid.
- Visitors are welcome to wear face-coverings in the galleries.
- You’ll still find hand-sanitiser stations around the building.
- The building is spacious and well ventilated and has a regular cleaning regime in place.
- Our staff have received comprehensive training to ensure your visit is enjoyable and safe.
Facilities and access
- Please travel light. Coats may be left on the hooks in our foyer – but at visitors’ own risk.
- Toilets and baby-changing facilities are available.
- Find parking and public transport information here
- The Barber is a Grade-1 listed building with several steps up to the front entrance. Please help our team to help you by letting us know if you require level access by calling 0121 414 7333 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org before your visit. There is an internal lift to access the galleries and facilities on all floors.
- Our General Emergency Evacuation Plan (GEEP) can be found here. Please ask our team if you wish to see the plan during your visit.
- Our shop is open with a selection of catalogues, books, greeting cards and postcards, contactless payments and cash taken.
- A further selection of gifts is available online. Head over to our Art UK online store to treat yourself or a friend.
- Our refreshment point is open with teas, coffees, soft drinks and snacks for sale – please note we only accept card (including contactless) payments.
- Tables are available in the foyer for visitors who have purchased drinks and snacks.
- A water-cooler is available for visitors – please bring your own bottle.
- Contactless donation points ensure donations to the Barber can be made safely and conveniently.
Version: 2 October 2023