You are welcome simply to turn up – advance booking is no longer required or available and admission is free.
Our permanent collection, exhibitions and displays are open Tuesday to Sunday, 10am to 5pm – but please check the website before your visit in case of any last-minute changes.
Please be aware that the Barber is regularly used by a variety of users, including student and school groups, and you may be required to share the space with them on your visit.
We are maintaining some precautions to ensure a safe and comfortable visit – please see below and our FAQs
Whether you’re exploring new places on your doorstep or are a familiar face, we’re delighted to welcome you to our beautiful collection.
We are looking forward to seeing you soon!
Safety and hygiene
- Please delay your visit if you are unwell, especially if you have Covid .
- We recommend that visitors (unless exempt) continue to wear face-coverings in the galleries as a courtesy to others. We can provide you with a face-covering at your request.
- Our staff will be wearing face-coverings, unless exempt.
- You’ll still find hand-sanitiser stations around the building.
- The building is spacious and well ventilated and has a regular cleaning regime in place.
- Group sizes for on-site events are limited to avoid overcrowding and to enhance the visitor experience – please continue to book in advance and online for events.
- Our staff have received comprehensive training to ensure your visit is enjoyable and safe.
Facilities and access
- Our gallery cloakroom is closed, so please travel light. Coats may be left on the hooks in our foyer – but at visitors’ own risk.
- Toilets and baby-changing facilities are available.
- Find parking and public transport information here
- The Barber is a Grade-1 listed building with several steps up to the front entrance. Please help our team to help you by letting us know if you require level access by calling 0121 414 7333 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org before your visit. There is an internal lift to access the galleries and facilities on all floors.
- Our General Emergency Evacuation Plan (GEEP) can be found here. Please ask our team if you wish to see the plan during your visit.
- Our shop is open with a selection of catalogues, books, greeting cards and postcards, contactless payments and cash taken.
- A further selection of gifts is available online. Head over to our Art UK online store to treat yourself or a friend.
- Our refreshment point is open with teas, coffees, soft drinks and snacks for sale – contactless payments and cash are taken.
- Tables are available in the foyer for visitors who have purchased drinks and snacks.
- A water-cooler is available for visitors – please bring your own bottle.
- No food or drink can be taken into the galleries.
- Contactless donation points ensure donations to the Barber can be made safely and conveniently.
- Large-print labels are available in the galleries.
If you’re unable to visit in person, you can explore our collection online, where you’ll find a wealth of images, information and recent research, as well as some great podcasts. And why not join one of our live online events from the comfort of home? In fact, we’re open for digital and physical visitors alike!
Version: 23 May 2022