The Barber Association
Lady Barber’s dream was to found an arts institute for the University of Birmingham – a gallery and concert hall to be used ‘in perpetuity for the study and encouragement of art and music’. Its art collection should be ‘of that standard of quality required by the National Gallery and the Wallace Collection’. Her foresight, and her generous legacy, led to the establishment of the Barber Institute of Fine Arts.
Since its foundation in 1932, the Barber has gone from strength to strength. As well as being one of the leading UK university centres of study for art history and music, it has established itself as one of the finest small public art galleries in Europe. It is home to a world-class art collection, stages compelling exhibitions, runs a highly acclaimed concert programme and delivers a thriving engagement programme for all ages.
We are very grateful to our Barber Association Members and Patrons – and to those who make donations, or remember us in their wills – for their generous support. They help us to enhance our learning programmes, expand our collections, and improve our facilities. If art and music are important to you, please consider joining the Barber Association. By doing this you will help us in our ambition to bring art and music to ever wider audiences.
We hope you will join us.
Sir Dominic Cadbury
President, The Barber Association
Director, The Barber Institute of Fine Arts
Become a Patron
We have three levels of Patronage – Benefactor, Director’s Circle and 1932 Club – each offering a range of enjoyable and stimulating benefits for those who are excited by art and music, and the opportunity to inspire the same passion in future generations.
Membership: £200pa (single) £300 (double)
Benefactors enjoy all Members’ benefits, plus:
- A personal introductory tour of the gallery for you and up to four guests;
- An invitation to the annual Interns’ Presentation and Afternoon Tea;
- A bi-annual Interns’ newsletter;
- Invitations to selected Talking Pictures and Animated Objects gallery talks, with refreshments, at the Barber Institute.
Membership: £500pa (single membership; a guest welcome at events)
Director’s Circle Patrons enjoy all Benefactor benefits, plus:
- Invitations to all Talking Pictures and Animated Objects gallery talks, with refreshments, at the Barber Institute for you and a guest;
- Invitations to selected Barber exhibition launches;
- Exclusive visits to galleries, museums and stately homes in the region with curators’ introductions and tours;
- One complimentary exhibition catalogue of your choice;
- Acknowledgement in the Barber’s exhibition catalogues;
- Invitations to exclusive access events for selected concerts and musical events in the Barber Concert Hall.
Membership: £1,000pa (single membership; a guest welcome at events)
1932 Club Patrons enjoy all Director’s Circle benefits, plus:
- A special programme of Director’s visits to other art galleries, major exhibitions and private collections in Birmingham and across the UK for you and a guest;
- Behind-the-scenes tours and visits for you and a guest;
- Invitations to all exhibition private views for you and up to three guests;
- Complimentary copies of all Barber exhibition catalogues and special publications.
To join the Association, please complete and return the Membership Form.