The Barber Association
Lady Barber’s dream was to found an arts institute for the University of Birmingham – a gallery and concert hall to be used ‘in perpetuity for the study and encouragement of art and music’. Its art collection should be ‘of that standard of quality required by the National Gallery and the Wallace Collection’. Her foresight, and her generous legacy, led to the establishment of the Barber Institute of Fine Arts.
Since its foundation in 1932, the Barber has gone from strength to strength. As well as being one of the leading UK university centres of study for art history and music, it has established itself as one of the finest small public art galleries in Europe. It is home to a world-class art collection, stages compelling exhibitions, runs a highly acclaimed concert programme and delivers a thriving engagement programme for all ages.
We are very grateful to our Barber Association Members and Patrons – and to those who make donations, or remember us in their wills – for their generous support. They help us to enhance our learning programmes, expand our collections, and improve our facilities. If art and music are important to you, please consider joining the Barber Association. By doing this you will help us in our ambition to bring art and music to ever wider audiences.
We hope you will join us.
Sir Dominic Cadbury
President, The Barber Association
Director, The Barber Institute of Fine Arts
Become A Member
Our generous community of Members help us to develop and enhance our collections, and to expand our education, outreach, and concert programmes. In return we are pleased to recognise their membership by offering these benefits:
- Discounts on all musical events in the Barber concert hall, including evening concerts, Barber operas, the International Piano Festival, and the Summer Festival of Music;
- Concessionary rates for selected Barber events;
- A 10% discount on all food, drink, and merchandise in the Barber shop;
- Monthly Barber e-news;
- A three-times-a-year mailing, including:
- In The Picture Barber Association newsletter;
- ‘Early bird’ delivery of the Barber’s What’s On, Music, and Family First programme brochures;
- Invitations to special events for Members;
- Advance booking opportunity;
- Annual Association Reception, including Director’s Review and refreshments;
- Two exclusive Barber Association evening private views of Barber exhibitions with curator’s introduction and refreshments*;
- Opportunity to join Birmingham Evening Decorative and Fine Arts Society (BEDFAS) trips and visits to UK galleries, museums, and heritage sites and BEDFAS members’ rates*;
- Volunteering opportunities.
*Please note, extra charges apply
To join, please complete and return the Membership Form.
Here are some quotes from our current Members:
‘Thank you for letting us enjoy one of Birmingham’s hidden gems.’
‘I enjoy my membership and find it good value – I also take advantage of 10% off in the shop and think it sells excellent merchandise – I love the cards!’
‘The Barber is a wonderful institution and, as a member of the University, I am delighted to be able to support its activities.’
‘Very happy and honoured to be a member.’