A Portrait of Richard Robinson
Oil on canvas
The Englishman Richard Robinson (1709-1794) was made Archbishop of Armagh in 1765, so when this portrait was painted he was Primate of Ireland.
Nonetheless, Robinson is shown dressed as a country gentleman, the only reference to his religious position being a distant church spire, to the left. The portrait was commissioned to hang at Robinson’s newly-built house, Rokeby Hall in County Louth. It is one of four versions and is a replica of a work exhibited at the Royal Academy in 1775. It was at this annual exhibition that Reynolds established his reputation as the leading portraitist of the day.
Purchased 1943 (No.43.9)