barber institute of fine arts
university of birmingham


Charles Meryon (1821-1868)

La Tour de l’Horloge, Paris

1852

Etching

255 x 186 mm

 

Meryon was known for his small but lively sketches of Parisian life. This print belongs to a series of works, Etchings of Paris, produced between 1850 and 1854 for the journal L’Artiste documenting old architectural landmarks. It shows the clock tower, the first of its kind, built in 1370 by Henry de Vic, a Lorraine watchmaker. In 1852 it was restored and is shown here partly covered in scaffolding.

Purchased 1939 (No.39.7)

The Paper Museum: the Curious Eye of Cassiano dal Pozzo

The Paper Museum: The Curious Eye of Cassiano dal Pozzo

Learn more

Ennemond-Alexandre Petitot (1727-1801)

Suite de Vases: Page Four

Learn more

Ennemond-Alexandre Petitot (1727-1801)

Suite de Vases: Page Three

Learn more

Ennemond-Alexandre Petitot (1727-1801)

Suite de Vases: Page Two

Learn more